The Lahore Museum was established in 1865-66 in Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan. It was initially located at the site of the 1864 Punjab Exhibition and was later shifted to its present location at The Mall in 1894. Over 250,000 visitors came to the museum in 2005. The design of the present building of Lahore Museum was created by the famous architect Sir Ganga Ram. It is the largest museum of the country.
The Museum has a large collection of some fine piece of work of Mughal and Sikh doorway and wood-work and contains paintings of the Mughal, Sikh and British periods. Its set of collection includes musical instruments, ancient jewellery, textiles, pottery, and armory. Some important remains of the Indus Valley civilization, Gandhara and Graeco-Bactrian periods as well as some Tibetan and Nepalese work have been put on display in the museum. One of the most popular objects of the museum is the Fasting Buddha from the Gandhara period. A large mural has been painted on the ceiling of the entrance hall by well known Pakistani artist Sadequain.
Archaeological objects from pre-historic times to the Hindu Shahi period have been put on show in the museum. It is one of the biggest museums containing largest collections of archaeology, history, arts, fine arts, applied arts, ethnology, and craft materials in Pakistan. It also has photo gallery displaying emerging of Pakistan as a state.